Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Adventures of Driving a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder in London

Ahh, the much desired, Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. She's the Megan Fox of all super cars, everyone wants her! You can only imagine how excited we were when we were able to book the beauty for a day. 


My partner picked up the car and then picked me up from my office. I was waiting outside on busy Great Marlborough Street in central London. I didn't have to even look down the road, I could hear the tiger purr a mile away. As he drove up, I could feel my jaw  drop to the ground with my tounge hanging out much like a Tom & Jerry cartoon or how men react when they see Megan Fox up close ;-)

I was as gitty as a teenage girl the entire time I was in and around the Lambo Spyder; it really was that impressive. The outside appearance speaks for itself; it's a land shark with sexy sharp angles in the front, yet a sleek aerodynamic curvature in the back and a mean looking grille to boot. Rawr!


The interior looks just as impressive. The dashboard is layed out very well with all practicalities in mind. The sports car orange and black leather combined with metal accents matches the tough sporty external appearance, whilst adding a touch of class. I have to say, I love the steel ball shaped gear shift, it's exactly the kind of detail a ballsy sports car should have. I have no complaints on how the dashboard is arranged, it's all very user friendly to sort out the sat nav, music, temperature, etc.


After plenty of gawking at the car, we finally took this baby for a "proper" spin. And that's when we realised this car isn't all its cracked up to be. Firstly, it's a VERY difficult car to drive. It has a manual gear box which requires quite a bit of elbow grease to change the gears. I'm not sure why so much physical force is necessary, but that was the issue. I suppose that takes getting used to. Also if you're not familiar with the car, it doesn't feel stable on acceleration and on fast turns. To me, it seemed like the automatic over-drive wasn't correcting our untimely gear changes at accelerated speeds as it should have. But perhaps, this was all due to both of us being new to driving these cars (it was our 2nd supercar we test drove).

To put us even more at ease, we were followed by the police, who eventually pulled us over! Lambos aren't too popular in London, so the Spyder was a bit of an attention grabber. This time, it was in the wrong way. We got pulled over in the Docklands area, 3 policemen stepped out of the car. Really? 3 policemen to give us a traffic violation? Doubtful. They were all oogling the car of course. I'm sure it came to surprise for them to see that the driver didn't quite fit the appearance profile of a Lambo owner. So they asked my boyfriend to step out and the interrogation began. After 10 minutes of nerves and time wasted we realised there essentially wasn't a reason we got pulled over. The truth is the cops were bored, they saw a rare car with a suspiciously young driver driving it, so they stopped us to nose around. Hmmm, if this is just a small taste of what it's like to own a Lambo in London, then I think I'll pass.

I think after this experience, I wouldn't call the Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder my fav, but it's certainly an impressive car. I would like to give it another go at some point now that we know where to take it (outside the city!) and we know what to expect. But the next time, we should opt for a black one; one that's a bit more incognito... if that's at all possible with a Lamborghini!




Me in the Lamborghini Gallardo




No comments:

Post a Comment