Wednesday, June 29, 2011

American Muscle: Chevrolet Camaro, the Supercharged Version

So I'm back at my old stompin' grounds of California for a long visit. I figured whilst I'm here, I should get my greedy little paws on an "American Muscle Car". Topping the list of muscle cars, is the coveted, Chevy Camaro. 




I had the opportunity to get a hold of  "Delta Project: Bold Spirit" which is a supercharged (in other words, "pimped up") 2011 Chevy Camaro. The following are the upgrades that have been added to create Delta's Bold Spirit: 
  • 630 horsepower (compared to 400 hp standard) provided by Lysholm twin screw supercharger by Vortech
  • 3D Carbon body kit
  • Borla dual side exhaust
  • TSW 22" alloy wheels
  • Pirelli high performance tires
  • Eibach springs
  • BASF paint
  • Katzkin leather seats
  • Kenwood touch screen control audio/video system
  • Rockford Fosgate sound system installed by Beach Auto Sound
  • Delta HID fog lights
  • Delta Wing™ DRL grill insert (patent pending)
  • Delta 4-way camera system
  • Delta LED Accent Lights
  • Delta Sequential Arrows™ Mirror turn signals
  • Delta Door Safety Lights
  • Delta Xenon Back-Up lights
When you see the Camaro close up, you can immediately see that you're dealing with a car that's got a lot of muscle. It doesn't have the sleek curves that a Ferrari has, but it has an angular masculine shape similar to the Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder. The Delta Bold Spirit version with upgraded horsepower, new wheels & rims, and 3D body kit looks a lot meaner than the Camaro you see at the Chevy dealership. And believe me, it sounds the part to, from the point you switch on the ignition!


As for the interior, the dashboard felt a bit overwhelming with the amount of bells and whistles placed around the dashboard, but many of the switches controlled the add-ons such as the 4-way camera system and the additional lighting throughout the car. I was particularly impressed with the blue LED lighting on the floor and in the doorway (Delta Door Safety Lights). Not only did it give it a practical purpose when stepping out of your car in a poor lit area, but it was also a very slick, unique, and adds a bling bling touch.




I got a chance to properly test this car much like I do in the English countryside. This time, I went for spin to Mount Baldy in the San Bernardino Mountains, Southern California. I fired up the engine and startled a few passers by --now that tiger gives a loud growl! On my way to Mount Baldy, I hit a bit of traffic on the 60 freeway, so I didn't get much of a taste just yet. It wasn't until I reached the base of the mountain that I was lucky enough to have an empty twisty road that I can convert into my own race track. On top of that, I had some incredible picturesque mountain views as a backdrop! Bonus!

The Camaro handled itself incredibly well and steady upon uphill acceleration.The anti-roll mechanism was certainly doing it's job as I was turning at fast speeds, and it was a very smooth and stable ride. The wheel was also incredibly steady, no vibrations, complete smoothness and stability; it didn't feel like I was going a bit *ahem* over the speed limit. At some points of acceleration I could hear a crackling sound from the exhaust pipes, which is not quite back firing but it still gave the impression of being in a Formula 1 car.

All in all, I was quite impressed with the performance and appearance of the supercharged Chevrolet Camaro. It certainly has a lot of muscle for an automatic, and was equally as fun to drive as the European Supercars. I wouldn’t mind taking it for another spin on the other side of the pond! Camaros aren't distributed in Europe, so it definitely would turn some heads!

Car hire courtesy of Delta Tech Industries. For more information on supercharging or accessorising your vehicle, be it a muscle car, sports car, off-road, or restoration vehicle, please visit: http://deltatechindustries.com/ 

For more information on pimping up your Camaro like the "Delta Project: Bold Spirit", please visit: http://deltatechindustries.com/camaro_project.html

Me & Delta Bold Spirt (Supercharged Chevrolet Camaro)

No comments:

Post a Comment