Monday, June 20, 2011

The Mother Ship Has Landed: The Mercedes SLS AMG

The Mercedes SLS AMG is nothing short of a space ship on wheels. It's long aerodynamic body and gull wing doors, is pretty much how one would imagine flying cars from the 22nd century to look. Believe me, when you're driving one, then it's even more so.





My partner and I took the car for a spin in the quiet twisty country roads where there were no speed cameras, and we properly test out that 560 horsepower engine. We noticed the car handled extremely when excellerated and on sharp turns, unlike the Aston Martin DBS. It felt very much stable and in control much like the Ferrari F430 (my car crush). That's thanks to excellent electronics that kicks in to stabilise the car when need be, to make your drive safer without ruining the fun. I also liked that the engine made a "back firing" noise after it excellerated, resembling the sound of a formula 1 car. Driving this car you really feel like a proper race car drive on the track. Not bad for an automatic!

The interior was really nice and well finished, no fiberglass like in the Aston Martin DBS, but solid German steel. Obviously, the engineers didn't have weight and aerodynamic properties as a high priority when designing this car. The car definitely feels very slick and classy, when you're sitting inside you feel you should be in a tux or a ball gown.


So far my review has been all positive, now down to the negatives. I found the Mercedes SLS AMG to be very unpractical size wise for Europe; it is massive and very difficult to fit into any parking spot. Obviously, it's not a car for everyday. But even as a car for the weekend, it's difficult manoeuvring it around the narrow archaic English streets. I think this car would better suit the large German or North American roads.

My second complaint is that the Mercedes SLS AMG is too much of an attention grabber! It's such a rare car and looks so alien from the usual Ferraris and Lamborghinis one sees in the big city, so you're bound to get people staring, taking photos, asking if they can touch your car...etc. I suppose that's flattering in the beginning, but after a while it does get annoying, and it does put you under the traffic police's spotlight. So I say that is a massive draw back.

Personally, if I had £160,000 to spend on a car, I would not choose a Mercedes SLS AMG. There are other super cars which perform and handle just as well, but draw a lot less attention, and are a bit easier to maintain. All in all it is a very impressive and unique car.


No comments:

Post a Comment